Sunday, December 08, 2013

Favorite 2013 Gift Guides

Untitled

I have a dirty little secret. I love gift guides and other people's "want" lists. I buy very little in the way of tangible things these days. Most of my (theoretically disposable) money goes to caffeine, books, sometimes art, and life experiences. I don't say this to brag. It's almost a problem. I have an eight-year old macbook (that I love). My iPhone has a thick, gray bar running down the left side of the screen from dropping it, and I refuse to replace it. My favorite suitcase is 15 years old and has traveled the world. My favorite cardigan was a good ten years old and had a hole in the arm for the past seven of those years. I only gave it up this year.

Still, I'm a shopper from way, way back, having spent all of my formative years in and around some of this country's greatest malls. I can want and desire with the best of them and dig well-crafted holiday gift guides with items I never knew I needed. I don't seek these guides out, but they are hard to miss this time of year. I've compiled a few of my favorites below.

Austin Kleon's 2013 Holiday Gift Guide
I generally dig the way Austin thinks and what he likes. Two standouts from his list that have made their way onto mine are Daily Rituals by Mason Currey and Palomino Blackwing pencils.

Smithsonian's Best Gifts to Give to the Traveler in Your Life
I'm thinking everyone on my team should have the CRKT Eat'N Tool Minimal Multi-Tool, and I suddenly need Art & Place: Site-Specific Art of the Americas and the scratch-off world map (note to self: also good brother gift).

NPR's Book Concierge
NPR helps you find a book from its selection of great 2013 reads? What could be better?!

No comments:

Post a Comment