Wednesday, May 22, 2013

Thrifty DC: Farmer's Markets

Untitled

This month the Washingtonian magazine published it's guide to the season's farmer's markets. This is a prime opportunity to combine a low-key outing with pesky grocery shopping. So many things are being produced in and around this region that I can easily get any staple I need at a local market. I also consider the people watching and chance for colorful pictures to be entertaining, but maybe I'm just easily amused.

How would I spend $20 and while away a Saturday?

9AM     City of Falls Church Farmer's Market      free entry

In addition to your standard fruits, veggies, eggs and dairy, they've got things like baked goods and coffee. All of my favorite things. One of the regular vendors is Atwater's. I've been known to pop by their Catonsville location for a fresh-baked loaf of bread when I'm up there for work and definitely recommend them. 

I've never been, but their website also mentions a monthly chef series.

Afterward, I'd recommend a walk over to Cherry Hill Park. It's right next door to the farmer's market and the perfect place to snag a picnic table and do some reading.  

One of the great things about living in the DC metro area is the abundant number of ways to entertain yourself for relatively low cost. It's so easy to focus on the more expensive restaurants or the must-see show, but the area has so much more to offer. I don't know about you, but I'm at my most creative when I'm feeling a bit skint. So, while I'm encouraging myself to save and shifting from the indulgent winter to simple summer pleasures, I thought I'd share a weekend (Saturday or Sunday) expedition each week that won't set you (or me) back more than $20. I plan out some of these to-dos for myself, so why not share it with others. 

No comments:

Post a Comment