Monday, March 26, 2012

Reasons to get your butt to Richmond

There are many, many reasons why you should spend some time in Virginia's capital city. In fact, I'm pretty sure I've chronicled some of them here, here and here.

There's shopping to be had on Broad at Turnstyle (for the hippest clothes and records) and Quirk (jewelry, art and coolest things you didn't know you needed) before wandering the galleries. Head up to Cary Street for more shopping and a quick bite at the original (re better) Sticky Rice. Check out the latest collections at the Virginia Museum of Fine Arts or browse the historic maps at the Library of Virginia. I could go on and on. Richmond has such a creative, independent spirit*, which is why what's going through the rest of March and April is so incredibly cool!

 photo courtesy of RVA Magazine and Necci

Art Whino (who you know I love) is partnering with RVA Magazine to bring G40 to the Richmond area. 13 international artists will create large-scale murals throughout the city. Richmond is a city that already embraces color and, in my opinion, makes a valiant effort to marry a thriving street culture with an homage to the area's architectural history. I got so happy when I read about this event, I thought I was having a heart attack.

Check out RVA Mag's guide to the murals, and get your butt down to Richmond!


*Thanks to Scarlet, it's one of my favorite cities in the area.

6 comments:

  1. Gah! So bummed that we didn't get orders to Ft. Lee. We've been there a few times while the Mr has training or school & I just love it there!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey! Sounds like a place I'd like to visit! My hubs and I have been talking about where to vacay this year (if we can). We definitely want to get off our beaten path. Maybe we'll see you on the east coast!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wanna go take pics!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I wanna go take pics!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I wanna go take pics!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Becky - Oh man! That would have been a great place to be stationed.

    Sadie - Fun!I think you'd enjoy it. Plus, if you get bored, there is always DC.

    Scarlet - Me, too! I was trying to figure out if I can get down there this weekend. Let's do it!

    ReplyDelete