Tuesday, December 13, 2011

#31DDD: one of the recipes you're willing to share

locavore

Since I'm not really one to create recipes, I have no problem sharing a few every now and then that have been working for me. One of my favorites I discovered this summer comes via fresh356.

Now, while I'm not to the point where I whip things up from scratch, I am quite the tinkerer. Rarely do I meet a recipe that I'll make exactly as it's written. This is usually because (1) I'm being lazy, (2) I don't like a certain ingredient, or (3) I don't want to spend the money on a particular ingredient. So, without further ado, I present to you the bastardized version of Erin's black bean and sweet potato quesadillas. These are amazing!

Black Bean & Sweet Potato Quesadilla

2 large sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/2" cubes
2 T olive oil
3 garlic cloves, minced
2 small jalapenos, finely chopped (no thanks!)
14-oz can diced tomatoes
15.5-oz can black beans, rinsed and drained
juice of 1 lime
1/2 t salt
1/4 t pepper
1 large handful fresh cilantro, leaves chopped (I really dislike cilantro.)
1/2 small red onion, finely chopped (Shudder.)
1 c crumbled feta goat cheese
8 whole-wheat tortillas
1 c salsa (I use Wegman's pineapple salsa or TJ's peach salsa.)

If I'm feeling extra fun, I'll throw in some corn or another veggie.

Preheat oven to 400F. Toss your chopped sweet potatoes on a baking sheet. Bake 20 minutes, until tender. Set these aside when done.

In a large pan, heat olive oil, over medium heat, and add garlic. Sauté 1-2 minutes, until garlic just begins to brown. I usually burn the garlic (accidentally). Add diced tomatoes, black beans, lime juice, salt, and pepper. If you're adding corn or another veggie. Add them here. Seriously, don't skimp on the lime juice. It makes it awesome. Cook 5-7 minutes, stirring occasionally, until well heated. Turn off heat, stir in goat cheese and sweet potato. Season to taste with salt and pepper.

I usually let it cook, then package the mixture up for future meals. I just place the mixture between two tortillas, add some of my favorite salsa, and pop it in the microwave for about a minute.

1 comment: