Sunday, September 11, 2011

Feverishly devouring the written word

used books

I have been on a tear with the books as of late. Never one to read more than one book at a time, I find myself having to fight the urge to juggle titles, feeding my growing need for stories.

Stories, in fact, have been haunting me as of late. These are stories I want to read, tell, know, write.

Currently reading:

Super Sad True Love Story by Gary Shteyngart. I'm currently listening to the audio version of this book thanks to a free credit from Audible.com. More on this dystopian (re disturbing) book once I finish.

A Moveable Feast by Ernest Hemingway. I'm re-reading this book thanks to raves by Amy. I've changed so much since I first read it that I know I'm going to get so much more out of it this time.

Black Boy by Richard Wright. This is another book I'm re-reading (though not in its entirety). I'm attempting Yale's English 291 course, The American Novel Since 1945, through iTunes U. Why not, right?

Books I'm hoping to tackle next:

The Beekeeper's Apprentice by Laurie R. King
The Sweetness at the Bottom of the Pie by Alan Bradley
Pastoralia by George Saunders
Fever Dream by Douglas Preston and Lincoln Child. Sad to be only two books away from being caught up on the Agent Pendergast series.

I've got some other book ideas that I'll hopefully share on here soon, including a potential collaboration and a rant on Michael Connelly's inability to write female characters.

2 comments:

  1. I tried doing one of the Yale courses last fall but the connection would never work.

    I'm ob-sessed with f. Scott Fitzgerald right now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I considered reading The Great Gatsby (which I own but haven't read) because of your recent mention of it.

    By the way, I don't think I'm going to finish the Yale course. So hard to do so much reading and work when it's not required.

    ReplyDelete