Thursday, January 03, 2008

The white pants doctrine

When I got on the metro this afternoon to make my way home, I noticed a
sunflower seed (shelled) stuck to the seat. As I brushed it away, I
began to wonder how anyone could survive wearing white pants.

Every summer (well, winter, because we all know the fashion mags are
seasons ahead), the fashion mags flaunt chic, crisp white pants and
flirty white dresses. Given how messy life is I've always wondered how
certain woman (wide ass doctrine aside) pull them off. Are there lives
so together that dirt and grime are repelled?

It came to me once I saw today's sunflower seed that these people must
live a more peaceful life than I. People who wear white pants aren't
the people who use public transportation and navigate the dark grease of
a metro elevator or the darkened metrorail seat. These people don't get
up at 5:30 am dressing for two jobs and the 17 hours of treachery their
outfit will have to make it through. They don't have to worry about
potentially having to venture to the river during the day or getting
tossed in front of an espresso machine that night.

If they did, those white pants would be dingy and would bear the mark of
wrinkles rather than a hot iron.

3 comments:

  1. I know! Anything non-black I wear attracts spills.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amen, sistah! We should start a group, sort of the like The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants, only there wouldn't be traveling. So basically it would be The Sisterhood of the Non-Traveling Non-White Pants. TSOTNTNWP for short.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous1:08 PM

    I always thought that people wore white pants for two reasons... one, because girls want guys to see their thongs through them and two, because people get hot in the summer, and white pants keep them cool. Ha ha....

    ReplyDelete