Monday, June 12, 2006

Family is everywhere

I don't have the privilege of being the veteran of too many weddings,
but I do know a good time when I see one. This past week I have the
honor of joining in the wedding festivities of my roommate's sister in
Detroit, MI. Over the years, the bride has transitioned from simply the
relative of a friend into part of an extended family I claim. One of
four girls, my roommate and her sisters are these amazing, funny women
who have adopted me in my home away from home. Not just her sisters but
mothers, aunts, cousins, and friends of the family, too. Being there
these past 5 days just solidified that some people start to feel more
like family than just friends. Having known both the bride and groom
from when they were just coworkers and friends and seeing the
relationship blossom made it even more special.

I've spent the past five days in both a state of rest (way more than I
usually get) and the wedding errand crazies. I burned last minuted cds
for all the guests and went on a hunt for slim cd cases, made sure
grandmother to the bride got to the wedding on time, printed out last
minute changes to the seating chart, showed the groomsmen how to hold
the bouquets, helped the hostesses get ready for the reception, and
generally drove my ass off (literally...we got back to DC at 5 am this
morning). I had also brought my video camera and appointed myself the
unofficial videographer. I love how holding a camera makes me feel so
comfortable and gets me into situations I wouldn't normally get into. I
caught almost everything on film, from the practice runs to the behind
the scenes conversations to the soul train chain. The best part is that
I get to turn it into something memorable for the family.

Holding the camera also means that very few people caught me trying to
do the hustle or dance down the soul train line ; )
Serena

6 comments:

  1. Do the bride and groom live around here or out there?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous3:45 PM

    Yay! Fun, fun!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love how a "project" gets you outside of yourself... I've met more people taking photographs then I do when I'm camera-less. Having a camera is your "get out of jail free" card: you can talk to anyone, anytime, anywhere.

    ReplyDelete
  4. sounds like a nice time. i am going to try that camera trick next time i have to do the "horrah."

    ReplyDelete
  5. Scarlet, the bride and groom are from Detroit.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous10:07 PM

    Glad you had fun...hope Motown treated you well!

    ReplyDelete