Wednesday, March 23, 2005

Herbicide

Their screams are so faint that no one hears them. While we're all locked in our glass towers or shopping with the kids, they're being felled one by one with the heavy machinery of Catapillar. The once lush landscape is suddenly naked and aware of its own fragility.

I like trees. They provide shade on a hot day...a place to park your picnic blanket or rest your back after a long walk. Sprawl is rapidly killing the trees. Fair Lakes lost another grove this month, as the machinery moved in to mow them down. Now my drive to work is marred with the pock-marked earth just asking for new development. This pisses me off. Why does everybody have to live in the freaking suburbs? I know I do, but I apologize every day for what I do.

No comments:

Post a Comment