Wednesday, October 27, 2004

The absolute best GOTV effort I've seen is Eminem's Mosh video (http://www.gnn.tv/content/eminem_mosh.html). I know I'm a geek, but the use of art (be it painting, photography, poetry, song) for social change gives me the shivers. In fact, I've been searching for a copy of either Minstrels of the Dawn: the Folk-Protest Singer as a Cultural Hero or Songs of Protest and Civil Rights and would love any advice on getting a copy. They're on my list of books to search for while trolling used book stores, but I'm not optimistic.

Another of my favorite GOTV pushes is Hip-Hop Team Vote (www.hiphopsummitactionnetwork.org). They've been touring the country getting young people signed up and pumped about voting in '04. I sometimes catch a little late night Oprah when I get home from work and caught a little of her Vote! episode. Maybe I'm a sap, but I was moved when Sean "Puffy" Combs broke down when talking about his run-in with a politician.

No comments:

Post a Comment